With so many weight loss diets floating around out there it can become overwhelmingly confusing to know which one is the best for you. I decided to cut through all the fancy named diets and fads and just ask some colleagues what they do. I simply posted the following question to a forum made up exclusively of certified personal trainers.
Trainers, when you personally want to lose a few pounds, what type of diet do you do?
I had over 125 responses and was pleasantly surprised that the overwhelming majority agreed right down the line with my personal thoughts on the subject – you gotta love it when that happens! But rather than give you my personal recommendations, let me just report my findings (along with a few of my explanations for clarity).
Top 5 Responses Across the Board
- Create a Calorie Deficit – consume less calories than you burn
- Eat Balanced Macros – of the calories you consume, make sure they are coming from the correct place — general recommendations: 40-60% from Carbs (this includes vegetables, fruits, & grains), 25-30% from Protein, & 20-30% from healthy fats
- Eat Food – as in real / whole food, not processed (this is key in staying full and satisfied on a calorie deficit)
- Track Food Intake – journal and log what you eat (this helps with awareness and education of what is working for your body so it can be tweaked if needed – it’s also necessary if counting calories or macros)
- All the above (many trainers literally mentioned all of these things)
Honorable Mentions of Helpful Trainer Recommendations
- Drink enough water
- Eat correct portion sizes (weigh & measure)
- Prioritize protein, veggies, & fiber (25-30g of fiber is recommended daily)
- Cut sugar, & snack foods
- Plan your meals (don’t be caught having to eat junk)
- Get enough sleep
- Reduce stress
- Stop eating before you’re completely full
- No alcohol
- Move more (that means exercise – in whatever form that “sparks your joy” – that’s a direct quote from one of the trainers)
There you have it!! Wandering minds wanted to know. Now you can diet like a pro!
November Boot Camp Information….
Follow Me Fit offers 2 forty-five minute camps: Live & Cyber. Boot Camp Live meets on Mondays & Wednesdays in person at the Life Center at either 5:30am or 7:30am. All campers bring their own mat and social distance during the workout (no shared equipment). Cyber Camp meets on Thursdays online via Zoom (either 5:30am or 7:30am) and will have access to prerecorded workouts to use anytime during the month.
Don’t be afraid of the term boot camp. We are a supportive group made up of many different fitness levels. I promise to offer modifications for those needing low impact or low intensity versions as well as help working around any joint issues you might have. I encourage you to try it from the comfort of your own home through Zoom. You can totally do it! Let me know if you have any questions.
Register Here: http://tiny.cc/FMFonline. Existing campers do not have to register again. I have your information on file and your payment will serve as a confirmation for this camp.
No boot camp Thanksgiving Week (November 23rd – 27th) — Price has been adjusted
Full Access (Live and Cyber) – $70/month
Live Only (MW at Life Center) – $45/month (7 sessions for Nov)
Cyber Only (Thurs online) – $25/month (3 Zoom sessions for Nov + 4 extra pre recorded YouTube videos to use anytime during the month).
A La Carte:
– Live (1-3 classes):$10/ per class
– Live (4+ classes): 4-5=$35, 6=$40
– Cyber: $8/ per class (does not include video access)
Package payments must be made in advance and are only good for the month of the Boot Camp for which they were purchased.
Cyber Camp payment must be received 24 hours in advance to ensure receiving Zoom links in time for class. All links will be sent via email.
Other Payment Options
– Cash, check, or card in person
– *Cash App: $followmefit
– *Google Pay: to Shelley Scott – firstname.lastname@example.org
– *Paypal: paypal.me/followmefit
– *Venmo: pay to @Shelley-followmefit
– Zelle: pay to Shelley Scott – email@example.com
*note: my photo appears in all app profiles so you can pay with confidence knowing it is my account
Do you even boot camp? I know you can!!